History Collections

The Landmarks History Collections was established in 1959 by the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society as an institution for the gathering and conservation of records, artifacts, fine art, photographs and ephemera which chronicles the history of the Marin County area identified as El Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio, particularly that portion east of the Redwood Highway which includes the Strawberry and Tiburon Peninsulas, the City of Belvedere, and Angel Island State Park.

Space in the Boardwalk center has been converted to a controlled environment for safe storage of thousands of irreplaceable items; it also provides an extensive work area and equipment for the repair and care of fragile material, and it holds record and filing systems facilitating quick identification and reference for local history research.

The History Collections are the primary resource of information and illustrations for historical publications such as centennial books, pamphlets, newspaper features, guides and maps, as well as rotating exhibits in public spaces. In addition it is an essential depository for objects and records from families, businesses, civic agencies and private organizations because they are assured that their valuable material is protected by correct conservation and supervised use.

Serving a diverse population including students from kindergarten through graduate school; professionals in public planning, business developers and residents, the collections are managed by a trained archivist who is assisted by skilled volunteers and an advisory committee of specialists.

The mission of the History Collections is to conserve things which are important in their own right, but the true value comes from what they tell about the people who created them, the times that inspired them and the societies that used them.

The History Collections are located at 1550 Tiburon Bl. in the Boardwalk Shopping center.

If you would like to contact our History Collections Archivist please email: History Collections, or phone: 415-435-5490.

For directions click Landmarks History Collections (Archives)